Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Fashion Genius


Today I am going to write a little bit about someone that I deeply admire. Someone that completely changed the fashion world.
John Galliano.
More than an extravagant fashion designer, Galliano is a genius.
He is - in my opinion- one of the greatest artists of all time.

Yes, I rather call him Artist than a simple Fashion Designer.
Because that is what he does. Art!
Those things he presents at his theatre-like fashion shows aren't only expensive garments. Those, are masterpieces.

Once a teacher told me that the first fashion designers have already invented what we (humankind) had to invent in terms of Fashion, so what new designers does, is to reinvent what was done in the past.
He also criticized my first collection because my designs were "too different, and too complicated".
That upset me a lot because as a teenager, I thought somehow I could change the world...
and by saying that we were unable to create, but only reinvent, he was...in other words ...tying my hands...
He made me believe that there was nothing we (youth) could do, that no matter how hard we tried, we would never be able to create anything new, because everything is already invented.
And so I saw Galliano´s work.
John Galliano is the living proof that we are still capable to create.
Although its always obvious which part of history he took as an inspiration every time we look at one of his creations, we can also say, that his creations are unique.
I deeply admire John Galliano, because he proved the world wrong, and made me believe.
Viva la Vida!

No comments: